Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law: Details and Procedures
Turkish citizenship is an important legal concept that signifies an individual’s affiliation with the Turkish state. The regulation on the implementation of the Turkish Citizenship Law outlines the details and procedures of this process. In this article, we will discuss the main provisions of the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law, the application process, and the requirements involved.
What is the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law? The Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law is a directive that governs the procedure and principles of citizenship applications conducted by the Republic of Turkey. This regulation establishes the application process, requirements, and exceptions for foreign nationals who wish to acquire Turkish citizenship.
Foreign nationals seeking Turkish citizenship must fulfill the conditions specified in the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law. The application process generally consists of the following steps:
- Preparation of Application Form and Required Documents: The applicant must complete the application form and prepare the necessary documents (such as passport, identity copy, population registration sample, etc.) in full and accurately.
- Submission of the Application to the Relevant Authority: The application form and required documents must be submitted to the relevant authority by the individual seeking Turkish citizenship. Upon acceptance of the application, the examination process commences.
- Examination of the Application: The competent authority examines the application and conducts the necessary investigations.
- Decision Process: A decision is made regarding the application after it has been thoroughly examined. The applicant who meets the requirements specified in the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law will be accepted as a Turkish citizen.
Requirements and Exceptions:
Foreign nationals applying for Turkish citizenship must fulfill certain requirements. These requirements are detailed in the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law. Some of them include:
- The applicant must have resided in Turkey for at least five years.
- The applicant must have a sufficient income to provide for themselves.
- The acquisition of Turkish citizenship must not pose a threat to Turkey’s national security or public order.
The Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law may provide exceptions for certain circumstances. For example, there are exceptions for individuals who maintain their foreign nationality through marriage to a Turkish citizen or for foreign-born individuals who acquire Turkish citizenship through birth in Turkey.
Covering the Legal Methods of Acquiring Turkish Citizenship:
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by Birth: A child born within the borders of Turkey is considered a Turkish citizen. The citizenship status of the parents may affect this acquisition.
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship at a Later Stage: A foreign national who has the capacity to discern, has resided continuously in Turkey for at least five years, has a decision on settlement in Turkey by acquiring immovable property, can prove employment by obtaining a work permit, does not have a contagious disease that poses a threat to public health, and does not pose a threat to public order, can apply for Turkish citizenship. These conditions are detailed in the Turkish Citizenship Law and related regulations.
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship through Adoption: A foreign child adopted by a Turkish citizen can acquire Turkish citizenship.
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by TRNC Citizens: Individuals who are citizens of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) can apply and acquire Turkish citizenship with the decision of the Ministry.
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship through the Right to Vote: Non-Turkish citizens who have the right to vote can apply for Turkish citizenship. Those who have lost their citizenship by obtaining an exit permit can regain citizenship if they reapply within three years.
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship Exceptionally: Under special circumstances determined by the President of the Republic of Turkey, individuals may be granted Turkish citizenship exceptionally. By making a $500,000 investment or acquiring real estate worth $400,000, the individuals who make the investment or purchase the property, along with their spouse and children under the age of 18, can apply for Turkish citizenship.
- Regaining Turkish Citizenship Based on Residence Requirement: A Turkish citizen who acquires foreign citizenship can reapply for Turkish citizenship after residing in Turkey for a specific period.
- Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship through Marriage: A foreign national who marries a Turkish citizen can apply for Turkish citizenship.
These provisions cover the legal methods of acquiring Turkish citizenship. The details and requirements for each method are specified in the Turkish Citizenship Law and relevant regulations.
Conclusion: The Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law is an important directive that governs the citizenship application process for foreign nationals residing in Turkey. Applicants must fulfill specific requirements and submit the necessary documents. During the process, criteria such as proficiency in the Turkish language, familiarity with Turkish culture, and financial stability are taken into consideration. However, the regulation also includes exceptions for certain situations. For further information on the process of acquiring Turkish citizenship, the Regulation on the Implementation of Turkish Citizenship Law should be consulted.